“Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you,
saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'” Isaiah 30:21


“Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.” Psalm 86:11

“Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ
loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Ephesians 5:1-2

“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7


Sunday, February 17, 2013

Soar on wings like eagles

Laura and I at the
beginning of the hike.
An adventure to Papallacta began yesterday! I met up with the group I was going with at the bus station on Saturday morning and we were off. We transferred buses in Tena, then rode the bus past Papallacta to begin a hike. We spent an hour walking up a nice path and enjoyed lunch by a picturesque lake. I was very comfortable and enjoying the scenery all the way up to the towers, at which point we began our four hour descend down the mountain. Almost immediately when we started the descend, the rain started pouring and the wind picked up. It was a moderate hike, but the conditions made it really tough and I wasn't so sure I wanted to continue after venturing about 2km down. I started to feel overwhelmed and didn't think I could do it, the rain and slippery trail were beating me down. Thankfully Laura stopped us and we all prayed together, it was so good and helped me refocus on the task set before me. Isaiah 40:27-31, "Why do you say, O Jacob, and complain, O Israel,'My way is hidden from the Lord; my cause is disregarded by my God'? Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired
We ate lunch at this lake!
or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Yep yep, this explains how I was feeling and was an encouragement to me on the hike! It is an incredible gift to know that no matter where my heart is in a situation God is constant. Even when I am discouraged and doubting what I am going through, God is good and will never give me more than I can take. I fell down in the mud a couple of times on the hike, but I had my friends there to help me back up. Though I was tired and cold for most of this trek the natural beauty in the big and small things around me were breathtaking. When we made it to the end of the hike there was a beautiful waterfall and a view of the Antisana volcano! I was challenged on this hike, but grateful for every moment of it, because I grew in trusting God with literally every step. It was awesome and when I were able to see the guard house I was so happy. We stayed
A beautiful view of the volcano.
and chatted with the two men for a quite some time, while we were talking one of them went in to the house and came out with hot mint tea! I was SO incredibly thankful at that moment I cannot even put in to words how much that small act of kindness meant to me. When our taxi arrived we headed to the HCJB guest house, changed, and jumped into the hot spring located right outside our door. This was a very nice way to warm up before going to bed. It was an early morning today, because we wanted to get to the the big public hot spring "pools" and "hot tubs". We stopped at a breakfast tent where I enjoyed scrambled eggs and a fried empenada for 50 cents! It was located right next to the hot springs, so I went right in to the water after eating. I like to swim, but it is even better when I can get in to a hot pool. We spent a couple of hours there this morning before cleaning up, then heading back to Shell. The buses were packed because it is election day in Ecuador, but we were able to get back in a jiffy. Then it was time to get supper with Cheralyn at Chifa China, where I had the sweet and sour chicken! We got back from supper just in time for prayer time at Dwight and Tandy's, it is always such a great way to prepare for the week to come. I love being part of a group of people that come together to pray, it is a beautiful thing!



No comments:

Post a Comment