“Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you,
saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'” Isaiah 30:21


“Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.” Psalm 86:11

“Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ
loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Ephesians 5:1-2

“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7


Saturday, March 9, 2013

Written on our hearts

The adventure to an Ecuadorian farm began today at 7:30am when Cheralyn, Rebekah, Rick, Sylvia, and I got on a bus to Puyo. The teachers planned a "parrillada" (barbecue) and the set location was Nelly's sister's house which was about forty-five minutes away from Shell. When we arrived in Puyo we met up with Arianne, Nelly and her daughter, and Fabiola's family. From there we took the bus right to the farm, since buses stop just about anywhere we were able to get off right at the house. We set up the grill and settled in a location with the beautiful river flowing by. I had several pieces of sugar cane while we were all hanging out. I had never really eaten any before, but once I tasted it I couldn't stop. After we were settled in, a group of us went on a hike in to the jungle to see a waterfall. It was a very rustic walk that wouldn't have been possible if she didn't have a machete to clear the path! She also cut me a walking stick and I was amazed at how much it helped me get through some of the really steep and muddy areas. Thankfully they had boots for me to wear, because there were many areas
The waterfall!
of deep mud and we walked through some streams. When we arrived at the waterfall we rested for a while, it was  pure, untouched, and wonderful to listen to! Although it was a strenuous walk to there, it was well worth it and the walk back up seemed rather easy, because I caught a second wind. Nelly's sister had chopped down a cluster of plantains while we were in the jungle and they looked like they needed some help carrying them, I offered to help carrying them since I was ready to go. When we got back to the house, the food was almost ready and I was more than ready to feast! It was nearly 2 o'clock and I hadn't had a whole lot to eat. The plates were overflowing with pork chops, chicken, sausages, yucca, potatoes, and salad. It was enough food to feed several people, but that is how a barbecue works here. We all sat on rocks scattered around the grill and enjoyed a delicious meal and each other's company. The teachers that I have the privilege of working with are very special people and I appreciate them a lot. I don't always understand what they are saying, but language has never been a barrier for them to show how much they care. One example of me missing a message was bringing a swimming suit for the day, oops! I sat by the river with my feet in the water for a while before everybody else started getting in. Not having
Roommate picture at the river!
a swimming suit didn't stop me from jumping in the river though, because Nelly gave me an extra pair of shorts to wear. I jumped in and I'm glad I did. The whole day was a special time of bonding, but swimming was a fun experience because we were all like kids in the water! We swam, splashed around, and I jumped off a short rock ledge a few times. The ledge was in the deep spot in the river and although my arms were a bit tired from carrying the plantains I was able to climb up the rope so I could jump in. Once we were done swimming we got everything put away and flagged down a bus to Puyo. Since we ended up near "Super Tias" I did some grocery shopping before catching a bus back home. Cheralyn and I had a hilarious chat on the bus and it was fine because nobody could understand us, only in Ecuador! After I got all cleaned up it was time to eat frozen yogurt and frutilla (strawberry) amor cookies while watching "Letters to God". 2 Corinthians 3:2-3, "You yourselves are our letter of recommendation, written on our hearts, to be known and read by all. And you show that you are a letter from Christ delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts." It is my hope that everybody in this world comes to know who God is in a real and personal way. The love of God is living and here for us all because of Jesus Christ who washed us clean of  every sin. May the love of God through Christ be written on my heart for all to see. I want to help change the world by telling people about the unspeakable joy found in Jesus. I am just one life, but God's Spirit is strong and He is big when I am small!



No comments:

Post a Comment