“Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you,
saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'” Isaiah 30:21


“Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.” Psalm 86:11

“Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ
loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Ephesians 5:1-2

“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7


Sunday, May 19, 2013

For the joy of the Lord is your strength

I woke up before the sun to join Geidi at a market in Puyo. First thing in the morning every Sunday, a Casa de Fe Tia goes to this huge market to get all the food for the week. I walked from my new house over to the Coliseo, was picked up in the truck, and we were off to Puyo. I was really excited to join and curious about what it would be like. When we arrived I didn't think it was that big, but quickly learned there were several open buildings that were a part of it, not just the one I had originally seen. There was so much produce to see and smell, there were clothes too! We got to sample some of the food we were getting at the market and went around to different venders to get what was needed. When we finished at the market we went to a butchery for meat and another shop to pick up a bunch of spices. I made it to church pretty late, around nine, but it was just fine. I stayed to chaperon the kid's Bible classes and walked all fourteen of them back to Casa afterwards. When we all got there safe and sound Jocelyn, Thalia, Abigail, and I went over to the Freeman's for Ainsleigh's birthday. We stopped to pick up fruits and veggies on the way, the second shop we stopped at was for the vegetables and while we were there it started pouring. We decided to keep on walking and got drenched, but such is life in the rainforest! I ate a chicken dinner
Jocelyn and I at Ainsleigh's birthday!
with the Freeman's, Joel, and the girls which was very nice. After eating the preparations began and I helped with the food and decorating for the party. I have enjoyed back to back celebrations, because it means we get to be surrounded by community! The party was at the Nate Saint School Cancha, with the missionaries and Casa de Fe maestros. There was a lot of food and for the second day in a row I consumed too much sugar, but it was all so good! I really enjoy talking to everybody, catching up with old friends, meeting new people, and hearing about their stories because everybody is so unique. Around 4:30 the party ended and ultimate frisbee began, Jeff came by the cancha with all the kids from Casa de Fe and I jumped in. It was mostly Casa de Fe kids and staff playing today, but there were a few others there and we had a great time. I decided to walk home and enjoyed it very much, it is a bit farther to go now, but nice when I just want to unwind. Shortly after arriving home Jocelyn and I walked around town picking up various groceries. Throughout the day I have been reminded not only about how we treat people, but how we look at them and I mean that in so much more than how we physically see people. When we look at people we can see them for the wrongs they have done, their shortcomings, and sins, OR we can look at them as God does thanks to Jesus Christ. Looking at people's hearts and caring for them how they are and where they are at is what God has called me to do, and although there are times it will be hard it is always worth it. I pray that my encounters with people are treasured, valuable, and treated as if it is the last time I will be with them, because I never know when that will be. Nehemiah 8:10, "And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength." In all situations, at all times my hope and joy is in God, because He is always good and has gone before me!

No comments:

Post a Comment