“Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you,
saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'” Isaiah 30:21


“Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.” Psalm 86:11

“Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ
loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Ephesians 5:1-2

“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7


Saturday, January 26, 2013

"Hijos de Dios" Children of God

This morning was much like yesterday morning, because I woke up to some unusual noises outside. There were some unrecognizable sounds accompanied by loud trucks and roosters in the distance, but I don't mind it at all! A little later I got to call my parents using the Bobsled app on my Ipod, then I got to show them around my room a little bit using Skype! Later this morning I helped one of the missionary couples move, but the boxes were light and it went fast so it wasn't anything too tiring. During this time we found out that one of our fellow teacher's mother died. Many of us from Casa de Fe went to support her family. It was hard to see a family grieving the loss of a loved one and although I do not know her mother she was deeply loved. Each of us greeted the teacher as we arrived and while I was hugging her all I could thing to say in Spanish was “hijos de Dios” (children of God). Although it may not have been much, I believe she knew where my heart was. We are all children of God and sometimes in the tough situations we go through in life it can be hard to see what He is doing, but He loves us and never gives us more than we can handle. Although I cannot understand all of the emotions each family member is feeling or how they are yearning, I am filled with compassion for them. As I was sitting there praying for the hearts of the family members, these lyrics kept going through my head “I’ll be the carrier of love and compassion, I’ll be the carrier of light to the world, I’ll be the carrier of hope and salvation, I will go shine Your light to the world”. In good times and in bad we are called to serve others and in this moment the only way for me to do that was be present and pray. My roommate and I also cleaned the kitchen this afternoon and after we finished we did some grocery shopping. To get to the store we have to walk, and I really do enjoy walking to get groceries and having to carry them back. It may seem a little silly to enjoy getting groceries, but I do and I get to explore the town at the same time! Tonight we had a girls night with other missionaries and it was awesome. There were ladies of all different ages, but we had the evening to come together for a potluck and movie night. It was nice to get to know some of them and hear where they are from and what brought them here! Having a gathering like this reminded me of what I would do at home on a typical weekend, having snacks and being with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment