“Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you,
saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'” Isaiah 30:21


“Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.” Psalm 86:11

“Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ
loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Ephesians 5:1-2

“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7


Friday, January 25, 2013

My first day of school


Beautiful Greis!
Today was my first day at Casa de Fe and it has been a whirlwind! The day started with a ride to the orphanage, then heading up to the school. I got to spend the morning with Rebekah learning more specifically what my role as a teacher/para/librarian/assistant with miscellaneous tasks will look like. There will be a lot of different places within the school that I will get to serve and I am excited to help in each of these areas. I spent some time today learning what grades are where, where supplies are kept, going through the teaching guidelines, and observing a couple of the classrooms. I love that the classes have 5 to 10 students, I think it will be a great size to really get to know each of the kids and meet their academic as well as emotional needs. It is so crazy to me that I am in a new country with children whose lives are very different from those that I have worked with in the past and yet so many things are the same. Like all kids I have gotten to work with they need to know they are loved and cared for before they can learn. One quote I think of often is, “They don't care what you know until they know that you care!” I am excited to see how these kids grow in their understanding of the world around them! After observing the last class before lunch, my roommate and I walked home from the orphanage to meet up with Tandy and go over some expectations and ask any questions. I really enjoyed the walk from the orphanage, there was so much to see and such kind people around town. Every day I am in awe of God's creation, and I am looking forward to walking to and from work! Cheralyn and I walked back up to the orphanage in the late afternoon and spent time with the kiddos! We played outside until it started to rain at which point we moved inside to watch a movie with them until supper. It was fun to see how they interact with me and their peers, it has also been
Cute little Samuel :)
wonderful to see how they remember and love Cheralyn! It is a sweet reminder of how they appreciate volunteers that spend time loving them. It was also good for me to listen to the movie in Spanish, because I felt like I was able to recall some more phrases I have learned in the past. Around 6:30 they came to pick up a group of us to go over to Tandy's house. She had a group of 12 girls over for Chinese food and a movie! The Chinese food followed by caramel hot chocolate were good, but the conversation with the other women and the fun that the girls were having was priceless. These children long so much to be loved and I pray that I can be a small light in their lives and care for them well!










 

No comments:

Post a Comment