“Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you,
saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'” Isaiah 30:21


“Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.” Psalm 86:11

“Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ
loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Ephesians 5:1-2

“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7


Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A journey


Here I come Ecuador!
At 6am this morning my family dropped me off at the airport and my Ecuador adventure (round 2) began! The travels went smoothly for the first two hops on the trip and I was able to see and talk to some awesome people. As I was boarding the plane in Chicago a little boy and his mother were right in front of me talking about the pictures he drew, he kept telling his mother how he wanted to give them to the pilots. He was adamant about giving them his picture gifts, it was adorable, and when he finally had the chance they graciously accepted! While waiting to board my flight in Miami I met another explorer and share stories for the short time our paths crossed. When I got to my boarding gate the news of a delayed flight developed. The situation was not ideal and I had no idea how to get a hold of my driver from Quito to Shell, but I tried not to panic. This situation made me especially thankful for the message at church last weekend about thanking God at all times, even those times that seem hopeless or less than desirable. God's way is far greater than my own and sometimes the greatest gain is in the hidden treasures or in this case delayed planes. God gives us countless opportunities to grow in trusting Him and it hurts to admit, but sometimes it is the absolute hardest thing for me to do. Usually trusting Him comes naturally, but in situations like today when my flight was delayed I had no idea how it would
The sun rising on the very early morning drive from
Quito to Shell.
all work out. Thankfully He is faithful and so much bigger than any fear I have, whether big or small He knows how I am dealing with all situations, walks beside me, and guides me along His perfect path. After being asked to get off the plane and go to a different gate, I arrived at the new gate and met two new people. They were gracious and let me use their internet to make connections with the missionaries and my driver. Then, I got to play "Nertz" and "Hearts" while we waited for the plane. Maintenance worked on this one (the second plane) for about two hours before they moved us to another that was maintenance free and ready to fly! Although I was more than ready to take off after the 6 hour delay, I was able to make connections with a couple of great people. Every day  we have countless opportunities to hear people's stories, but there is something really special about airports and the doors it opens to hear about people's adventures. May we never underestimate the power of our paths and choices daily! I was empowered by the decisions some made to go out of their way helping others with bags, luggage, and other seemingly simple gestures to contribute in raising spirits. "Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened. But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect" -1 Peter 3:13-15. Today through peoples kindness and new acquaintances I was reminded of the silver lining and hope in all situations.  God always is working things together for our good, but if we do not seek His promises we may miss out on the greatness laid out before us. Also, the driver I was expecting to meet me outside the gate at 10:30pm was there to greet me with a sign "SeƱorita Erica HALO" when I actually arrived at 4:30am! My journey to Ecuador was exactly that indeed, a journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment